Please Respect My Work...

All of the cards, layouts, handmade items and art work displayed on this website are copyright to me, Lynne Mizera. Of course I hope to inspire and encourage you and would be morethan happy for you to use any of my work to that end; however, please respect me and my work and do not directly copy any of my projects without crediting me or enter any of my work into any magazines or competitions without my express written permission. All my cards, layouts, projects and art work are not to be used by any commercial enterprise for any financial, marketing or commercial gain.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Using Your Stencils With Metal - Who Knew!


Happy Stencil Sunday Everyone! Today is another day of inspiration over at the STAMPlorations Blog and I am excited to be sharing with you a different way to use your STAMPlorations' stencils by creating embossed images using some soft pewter metal and a paper stump and metal stylus to create beautiful 3-D images which you then use to embellish anything.  I used mine to embellish this tiny wooden box I picked up at my local dollar store for under a dollar, but now looks like a miniature work of art.


I first covered my box in a layer of Aquamarine Inka-Gold paint, and once the paint had dried, burnished the box to make the paint go all shiny and metallic looking. 
Then, to create the embossed images I placed a piece of soft pewter metal underneath my stencil of choice and on top of a pad of paper to create a firm yet flexible surface to work on.  Then using a paper stump I gently outlined and filled in the stencil image - just like I was coloring it.  You will note that I did use some painters tape to make sure the metal did not move under the stencil while I was burnishing it.
When I turned the metal over my image looked like this.  But then to really make my it pop I gently outlined the dragonfly from the front using a metal stylus with the smallest ball.  (If you don't have a metal stylus you can use a slightly dull pencil to get the same effect.)
I then used a some texture wheels I have for metal embossing to create the textured border and scribbled all over the top with my stylus to create an interesting design. This rectangle is going on the lid of my box...
...but I create several other dragon flies which I cut out and applied to the front and sides using Sookwang double sided tape to adhere them to the box.  I just applied the finished metal piece to a wide strip of Sookwang tape and then cut out each image and applied it to the box...

I used the scraps to create some leaves and vines to fill in the blank spaces...
And if you really want to make your box special (which I did) glue a piece of two-inch wide, velvet ribbon to the inside so that when you open the lid it really does look like a tiny jewellery box... Swoon!

I hope my little project inspires you to go play with your stencils and if you do, don't forget to link up to our March Mixed Media Challenge over at STAMPlorations where it's always Anything Goes Except a Card as long as you use a stencil... any brand.  The design team always picks a winner and there are prizes to be won!
Prizes:
- $10 gift certificate to the winner voted by the Mixed Media team
- $5 gift certificate each to the 2 top picks
- If there are 25 or more entries: 1 random winner of any 2 standard size stencils

Thanks for popping in today to see what I am up to and do pop over the STAMPlorations blog to see what my design teammates created for you today.  And stay tuned for some really interesting and fun blog posts coming this way soon!
Lynne Mizera, Mixed Media Artist
for the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team

STAMPlorations Products used on this project:
DRAGON FLY WALTZ

Note: Use my Personal Discount Code to get 20% off all stamps, stencils and dies at STAMPlorations (even sale items!):

For more information about soft metal embossing and for video tutorials and supplies go to:
In Canada:
Pewter Art - Elitia Hart (She taught me everything I know!)
In the USA:
Ten Second Studios - tools
Ten Second Studios - How To Videos

Other Items used on this project:
Ten Second Studio Metal Embossing Basic Tool Set - Canada
Ten Second Studio Metal Embossing Basic Tool Set - USA
Inka-Gold - Ultramarine
Sookwang 2" wide Double Sided Tape
Velvet Ribbon - 2" wide

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I read every one and reply when I can.